ADA Paratransit PlanHome » ADA Transportation
What is the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and what is ADA service?
- The ADA Act of 1990 is a civil rights act, ensuring the rights of individuals with disabilities. Among those rights are a right to access public transit.
- The ADA led to the issuance of 49 CFR Part 37 - Transportation Services for Individuals with Disabilities.
- This law assures that individuals with disabilities have a right to a comparable level of public transit service as individuals without disabilities.
- The ADA comparable paratransit minimum requirement states that transportation must be provided to disabled individuals within a 3/4 mile distance from fixed route (regular bus)service. The MWRTA will be providing service not limited to the 3/4 of a mile radius, but will provide paratransit to all qualified diabled individuals who reside in the member towns.
- ADA Paratransit service runs the same hours as fixed route service in the same core areas, and can be requested during the business hours of the MWRTA.
- The service is provided by MWRTA.
The law provides eligibility for:
Any individual with a disability who is unable, as the result of a physical or mental impairment (including a vision impairment), and without the assistance of another individual (except the operator of a wheelchair lift or other boarding assistance device), to board, ride or disembark from any vehicle on the system which is readily accessible to and usable by individuals with disabilities." (§37.123(e)(1)) In addition to individuals with physical disabilities that prevent them from using the fixed route, this right is also granted to people with mental, cognitive, and visual impairments who cannot recognize destinations, understand bus transfers, or distinguish between different buses on different routes at terminals and/or while en route.
ADA Eligibility Application Procedure
If you want transportation from and to within ¾ mile of a fixed route and want to apply for the ADA Paratransit service, contact the MWRTA Office by telephone or email to request an application at: 1-508-820-4650 or Email: info@MWRTA.com.